Saturday, May 15, 2010

British, Canadian, and American English

There is a lot of confusion about spelling and grammar when it comes to things like, do I use one l or two? Is it -or or -our? When do I use quotation marks ("), and when do I use inverted commas (')? These differences are usually explained by the difference between British and American usage. The main reason I mention Canadian English in the subheading of this post is because Canadian English tends to accept a mixture of both. I find that somewhat confusing, and when you use Canadian English as your default dictionary in Microsoft Word for your spell check, you'll notice that both types of spellings will be recognised. If you have the dictionary set at British or U.S. English, you'll find that one or the other spelling is recognised by spell check as incorrect, depending on which spelling you use with which dictionary. In the next few posts, I will highlight some of the most pressing questions that I've heard a lot. It's too late for me to go into that now, as I'm so tired my eyes are closing, so I should probably write about it when I'm more awake. I'll make fewer typos that way, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment